Why choose iPage.com?
- Free Domain Name Registration
- Unlimited Add-on Domains
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee
iPage.com is a US-based web hosting provider offering online services world-wide, including the United Kingdom. The company was founded in 1998 and has come a long way in becoming one of the leading budget hosting providers, serving over one million customers.
The company’s main focus is on personal and small business hosting, but larger websites can also find a home on their VPS or dedicated servers. In our iPage review, we will be focusing on their most popular shared package, the “Essential Plan”.
iPage.com is best for blogs, portfolios, small and medium business websites as well for online shops. Both beginners and experts can find a plan that suites their needs.
Pros & Cons of iPage.com
- Best Price: their promotional price is a bargain. Hardy can find other hosting that offer such a vast amount of features for such a low price.
- Unlimited Add-on Domains: host as many domains you want on a single hosting account.
- Unlimited Email Accounts: create as many email accounts you need.
- Easy to Use: the signup process as well the website creation and publishing process is simple and straightforward.
- Online Support: you will have access to 24/7 online support through phone, email, live chat and to the knowledgebase full of useful tutorials.
- Upgrade Options: successful websites can quickly outgrow the Essential Plan. Upgrading to a higher plan is quick and easy.
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee: if you are not satisfied with iPage’s service during the first 30 days, they will refund your hosting fee.
- One-Click Installer: install your favorite open source software (WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.) to your site within few clicks.
- Free Website Builders: you can choose to create and publish your website with two different builders, Weebly or the in-house built iPage Website Builder.
- Great Uptime: iPage does not have any guarantee for uptime, but our 6 months test resulted in 99.96% server uptime.
- High Performance: although iPage’s servers are located in the US, most websites will load in 2 seconds for UK visitors.
- UK Domain Registration: luckily iPage offers .co.uk or .uk domain extensions for registration.
- Renewal Price: the only reason you might not want to renew your iPage account is the high renewal cost.
iPage Plans & Features
iPage offers various hosting plans for different website types and hosting needs. Their most popular is the Essential Plan, which is a shared hosting powered by Linux operating system. This plan includes all the necessary features and tools that are needed to start a simple website or blog.
iPage Essential Hosting
The Essential Plan allows hosting unlimited domains and email accounts. There is not cap on the amount of disk space or bandwidth you can use either. Wide range of hosting utilities and tools such as FTP, FileManager, URL redirecting, PERL, SSI, backup tools, access and error logs and a lot more are included.
The one-click installer enables you to choose and setup any application to your hosting account easily. Install a WordPress blog, Joomla website, and other CMS platform or eCommerce application without the need for technical knowledge.
iPage WordPress Hosting
The WordPress Hosting plans are designed for users who are looking for optimized web hosting. There are two WordPress packages (WP Starter & WP Essential) available, that include all the features from the Essential Plan, plus additional features such as pre-installed WordPress themes and plugins, expert WP support, enhanced security and higher website speed.
iPage VPS & Dedicated Hosting
Users who require more server resources can opt for a VPS or dedicated hosting plan. There are 3 VPS and 3 dedicated packages available, ranging from £19.99/mo to £191.99/mo (promotional prices) – based on server configuration. All plans are fully managed, including cPanel control panel, dedicated server resources and cloud based flexibility.
Domain Registration at iPage
If you want to register and manage your domains at iPage, you have that option too. You can choose from over 300 TLD and new domain extensions. Both .co.uk and .uk domains are available for £12.99 per year. Domain privacy is optional and can be acquired for £9.99 yearly.
iPage Price & Value
iPage Speed & Performance
You might be concerned about the speed and performance of your website, being hosted overseas. Using WebPageTest we’ve performed multiple tests from London, UK. The graphic below shows one of our results. Our tested website, hosted on the Essential Plan, has fully loaded in 2 seconds.
According to Pingdom’s speed testing tool, our tested website loaded in 1.24 seconds, which is faster than 86% of all tested websites.
So if you choose iPage for hosting your website, you will not have to worry about speed and performance. Your visitors from the UK won’t even notice that your website is hosted 3,200 miles away from them.
iPage Server Uptime
Beside website performance, we’ve also been monitoring the uptime. The average uptime for our test website for 6 months period was 99.96% uptime. There were months where the uptime was 100%. Just an example in October 2016 there were no recorded downtime on iPage (see screenshot below).
iPage Online Support
The dedicated support at iPage is available 24/7 via phone, email and chat. If you prefer to get help through the phone, you can call the toll-free number and talk with a real person. The average waiting time is 10 minutes. If you prefer to solve your issues via email, you can send a support email from your hosting account, in the dedicated support area. They will respond to your email in 30 minutes on average. For quick help, you can try out their online chat, where you can connect with an iPage support specialist in 2 minutes on average. From the live-chat support however can’t expect savvy technical help. If you have any technical questions, I recommend sending a support ticket.
The good news is that you don’t need to contact iPage’s support every time you have a question. Their huge database of guides and video tutorials is available for every customer. The knowledge-base is perfect for beginners who are learning the basics. Here you will find articles about how to use the hosting account, add a domain to your account through how to create a new email address to how to setup WordPress and more.
Conclusion – Is iPage a Good UK Host?
During our tests we were pleased with the speed, performance and uptime results. The available features and price are in good balance; in fact we can say that iPage is a bargain. IPage is great for beginners and also for experienced online entrepreneurs.
The Essential Plan is perfect for customers who are starting out and want to setup a blog, small business or personal website or a portfolio. It is also suitable for hosting multiple websites. As I mentioned before, at iPage you have the option to upgrade your hosting plan in case your website needs more resources. It is quick and easy to upgrade to VPS or dedicated plan.
At the end, there is only one question. Is iPage good for you? Though we highly recommend iPage, it is up to you to decide if iPage suitable for you!